Sunday, March 11, 2012

Albanese Krunch Bears




I couldn't resist the Albanese Krunch Bears, they are so pretty for a gummy.  I checked the Albanese site, and these aren't listed as a current product, so I'm unsure if they are discontinued.  Several sites do still sell these, but amazon has been out of stock for quite a while.  You will see them sold as "Crunch Bears", "Crunchy Bears", "Krunch Bears", and "Krunchy Bears", but they are always listed as being from Albanese.  It may be a lot of trouble to track these down, but I do think they are worth it for anyone who loves to try new gummy candies.  They are just as delicious as they are attractive.  Unlike the Haribo Raspberries, I felt like the nonpareil coating on these added to the overall flavor, it was sweet and sugary on it's own.  These are much larger the the Haribo Gold Bears, about 2-3x's, so each gummy is a good mouthful.  The flavor builds as you breakdown the outer coating so resist the urge to swallow and chew until you really get the full flavor of the gummies.  It's hard for me to pick a favorite flavor, all six were very good.  The flavors were slightly artificial, but at the same time felt authentically fruity.  I highly recommend these.

--------------------------------------------------
Texture: These are very chewy and crunchy at the same time.  An odd but pleasant combination.

Flavors: There are six flavors: Cherry (red), Watermelon (pink), Orange (orange), Apple (green), Lemon (yellow), and I think Blue Raspberry (blue).  The blue flavor was hard to pin down because it is a light generic berry flavor, not the usual artificial flavor I associate with blue raspberry.  The cherry was a light flavoring, almost like cherry chapstick.  The apple had just the right amount of sour notes at the end and the watermelon had a nice tang to it.  Unlike other mixes, all of the flavors are winners for this product.

Cost: $0.33/oz, 9oz bag, at Pearl's Nostalgic Candy, Chocolate, and Nuts (pearlscandynh.com)

Availability: These are no longer listed on the Albanese website so I'm not sure if these are discontinued or just temporarily unavailable.  Online sites are still carrying these if you take the time to search, but I hope they aren't selling off old stock.  It would be a shame for such a good gummy product to be discontinued.  The batch I received from Pearl's seemed very fresh so they may be a good place to start if you want to try a small order.  I chose Pearl's because many websites require you to place large 5lb+ bulk orders for each product.

No comments:

Post a Comment