Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Haribo Raspberries

I decided for my next taste test I would try another Haribo product, the Raspberries.  I have heard so many good things about these that I almost placed a large order online for my next taste test since it was so much cheaper.  However, while shopping at my local Wegman's earlier this afternoon, I noticed that they actually sold these in their bulk candy aisle.  I picked up a small batch and I have to say, I am glad I didn't place that large order.  I found the outer nonpareil candy coating to be very unpleasant, it diluted the flavor of an already weak gummy and added a chalky aftertaste.  I also didn't note much of a difference between the red and the black, which I thought were supposed to be two different flavors, raspberries and blackberries.  I did note that the package only says raspberries so maybe the color difference is for decoration only.  This gummy was a huge disappointment for me taste wise.  These are very pretty though, and would make a great topper for cupcakes or something.


--------------------------------------------------
Texture: The texture of the gummy inside seemed to be the regular firm Haribo gummies, similar to the Gold Bears.  It was a little hard to tell with the nonpareil outer coating which made the whole thing chalky and dry.

Flavors: The berries are decorated to look like raspberries and blackberries, however I didn't notice a difference in flavor.  As noted above, the package only says Raspberries, so even though there are two different colors, I believe this to be a one flavor product.

Cost: $0.36/oz at Wegman's

Availability: These aren't as widespread as the Gold Bears, but they are easily located at candy shops and grocery stores.  Several online retailers also carry these at decent rates.

No comments:

Post a Comment